I was in Memphis, Tennessee last weekend, and I went to a quaint little restaurant called the Blue Plate Cafe near my hotel downtown. I had read some good reviews about it on Yelp, and it was also recommended by some people on Foursquare as well. I love finding great places to check out on Foursquare, getting discounts, and checking in at different places.
So, when is a restaurant menu more than a simple menu? When it makes you think, and that is exactly what the Blue Plate Cafe’s menu did. It was shaped like a small newspaper or bulletin. And, on the left side of the menu were “some rules for life”. They made me stop and think, and I thought that you might like them as well…a little something different than what I normally write here on Money Q&A.
The Blue Plate Café’s Rules Of Life
- Wake up, show up, and pay attention.
- Be happy and have fun. Life is a trip – enjoy the journey.
- Learn, master, and play by the rules.
- Get an education. Knowledge and wisdom are the key.
- Work hard, work smart, and never quite. Nothing good comes easy.
- Integrity never life, cheat, or steal especially from yourself.
- Know your weaknesses and overcome thing. Power is when you ask for help and use it.
- Learn a skill, trade, or profession you love and master it.
- Avoid the seven deadly sins and doing wrong when you know what is right.
- Don’t just and learn how to forgive.
- Never sweat the small stuff, and most of it is small stuff
- Treat all with dignity and respect especially yourself.
- Acquire patience and serenity. Learn to be still, be quiet, be at peace, and meditate.
- Make a negative a positive and learn from the past.
- To thine own self be true. Develop self discipline. Do what you are supposed to do, not want you want to do, until what you are supposed to do is what you want to do (my personal favorite!).
- You have got to believe.
I know that this is a little unusual post, but I wanted to share it with you. These pearls of wisdom really made me think last weekend in Memphis.
Have you ever had those kind of moments? I was very glad that I stopped by that little cafe in the end.
Take back control of your finances!
Get a FREE checklist for the money moves to make in the New Year.
Also get new articles, advice, and tips delivered right in your email inbox with our newsletter!