If you live in a drought-prone region, such as the American Southwest, you know that water is in short supply. As a result, water is often expensive. And, the more you use equates into the more that you have to pay for this often scarce resource. Do you know how to save on your water bill?
Here are some basic tips to help you save money on your water bill.
Saving Water Inside Your Home
In the home, you can save water in a variety of places. In the kitchen, you should concentrate on saving water. Always use your dishwasher in order to save money on your water bill.
Contrary to popular belief, it actually takes more water to wash dishes by hand than it does to run the dishwasher. And, when you use the dishwasher, do not pre-rinse your dishes. You should simply just scrape and put the plates inside because today’s modern dishwashers are very powerful at removing grime from your plates.
In the bathroom, you can save water and money by doing the following:
– Install a low-flow shower head to save as much as 25% of your water usage
– Take a shorter shower, and shower instead of taking baths
– Turn off the water while you’re brushing your teeth (that little bit of time adds up over the course of a month)
When doing laundry, consider the following:
– Only do laundry when the load is full Virginia
– Consider wearing items more than once – especially pants and outerwear that tend to not get as dirty
– Upgrade to a high-efficiency washing machine (and they look pretty cool too!)
For the handyman:
– Install a tankless water heater – It heats water faster and only when you need it. So, it saves both water and energy.
– Insulate your pipes with insulation to keep the hot water warm in transit
How To Save Water Outside The House
There are many ways to save water outside the house as well. The first starts with landscaping:
– Landscape with plants that do not require a lot of water, such as succulents
– Use an irrigation system, and setup the timer to water early before the sun comes out, and make sure it includes a moisture sensor to not water if it rains
– Consider sweeping your sidewalk and driveway and not hosing it off
– Wash your car less often
There are several ways that you can easily save on your water bill. You simply have to be conscientious of how you use this finite resource to ensure that you are not wasting it.
What about you? How do you save on your water bill? Did I miss a few tips or tricks? I’d love to hear about it in the comment section below.