I love watching moves. It is actually one of my guilty pleasures, and my wife and I actually spend a lot of money every month watching movies at the movie theater. But, there are tons of great ways to save money watching a movie at the theater this summer. Here are five of my favorites and a separate list of some other great ideas to save money at the movie theater this summer.
Join The Discount Club
Several of the national movie theater chains have rewards programs that can help you save money on tickets and concessions. The reward program members can earn free or discounted movie tickets the more you continue to frequent that specific movie theater chain. Become a member of AMC’s MovieWatcher Rewards program and you will earn two points for each ticket you purchase. Once you have earned ten points, you can redeem them for a free popcorn, and thirty points will earn you a free movie ticket. Regal Movie Theaters offers its movie goers membership in the Regal Crown Club which provides members with one point for every dollar you spend on tickets and four points on every dollar spent on concession items. 150 points earns you a free movie ticket.
Special Week Day Deals At Theaters
Be sure to check to see if your local movie theater has special deals on certain days of the week. My local movie theater has $1 soda and $1 popcorn days. They also have popcorn buckets that you can buy and refill for only a few dollars throughout the summer. My wife has been taking our children around to a local theater this summer that has free movies especially for children in the mornings and deep discounts on a specific day as well.
Don’t Forget Your Credit Card’s Rewards
Some banks and credit cards offer their customers free tickets to the movie theater as part of their credit card rewards programs. For example, Visa Signature offers its cardholders two-for-one movie tickets via Fandango on Fridays. You can also often get $25 worth of “fandango bucks” (good on movie tickets through the Fandango website) for $20, a 20% savings. Deutsche Bank debit cardholders can earn one free pass for every ticket purchased through a loyalty program offered by the bank. Be sure to check with your credit card company and bank to find out about any reward perks they offer.
Don't Miss a Single Blog Post
Sign up for our FREE newsletter
Get new articles, advice, tips, and money hacks delivered right in your email inbox!
Buy Your Tickets In Bulk From The Movie Theater
You can buy your tickets online from the large national chains. Regal Movie Theater’s website sells bulk tickets. And, AMC’s website allows you to buy their tickets in bulk too.
Check Out The Matinee
Of course one of the classic ways to save money at the movie theater is to hit the matinee show instead of the regular evening showings. Daytime movies are typically several dollars cheaper or even as much as half the price of an evening ticket.
Honorable Mentions To Save Money At The Movie Theater
- Skip the concession stand completely
- Bring in your own candy and drink if the theater does not have a policy prohibiting it
- Look for deals on sites like Groupon, , etc.
- Buy discount gift cards at sites like PlasticJungle.com, Giftcardmall.com, or Giftcertificates.com – AMC Theaters Gift Cards
- Buy packs of tickets at a discount from Costco
- Watch 2 movies in a day. Only need to pay for 1 popcorn/soda because of free refills.
- Skip the movie theater altogether thanks to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other sites
- Be sure to follow your local movie theater on Facebook and Twitter for discounts too!
- Attend second run theaters where movies have been out a while for deep discounts.
- Clubs that you are a member of may offer discounts. I’ve heard of people saving money by buying their tickets from their local AAA office.
- Ask for student, senior citizen, and military discounts
Did I miss any great ways to save money at the movie theater? What is your favorite way to save at the movies? Let me know in the comments section below. I’d love to hear your thoughts